Monday, December 20, 2010

MLK 2011 - Not Another Day Off


Ever work on a holiday? I grew up working construction and remember several holidays that I worked - not because I did not believe or care for the holiday itself, but instead because there was an opportunity to make a difference in my life by earning money.

Now I find myself in a different position and you might be in a similar spot - you have a paid day off and need to decide what to do with it. I have worked through many of these days too.

As Martin Luther King Day approaches, let me suggest that we take some time now, from the 14th to the 17th of January, or soon thereafter and ask a simple question - what I can I do right now in the service of others that will have the biggest impact? Then go do it.

There are several events happening in Jefferson City and the surrounding area on the 14th and 17th and the days leading up to Martin Luther King Day. I am enclosing some information that will be updated about two of those locally. Attend. Learn. And then go DO.

Jefferson City Regional MLK Celebration

January 14, 2011 - Governor's Office Building
10AM
Theme: Remember, Celebrate, Act
Keynote Speaker: Mr. Bill Miller

St. Mary's Health Center 8th Annual MLK Celebration

January 17, 2011 - Assembly Hall
2PM
Theme: Continuing the Quest for Peace and Justice
Keynote Speaker: Reverend James Howard, One in Christ Church
(this event grows every year and I have it on good authority that this year is one not to miss)

No comments:

Post a Comment